My Book Club Experience

 



My neighbor Jolene hosts a monthly book club meeting for the ladies in our neighborhood. When I told her I needed to find a book club for this assignment she invited me to her Thursday night meeting. This month’s pick is Killing Floor by Lee Child. The book was first published in 1997. I asked her why she chose an old book from the late nineties. Jolene explained that the group loved mysteries. Also, this book series was made into a tv show on Prime +. The group likes to read tv series books, then watch the show and compare. Luckily, I read this book a long time ago, so I was already prepared for the meeting.

                A total of seven ladies showed up, myself included. Jolene had a lovely spread of crackers, cheese, vegetables, dips, and cookies for everyone to enjoy. Everyone got their plates and sat down. Jolene began the meeting by asking if everyone had finished the book. Everyone nodded in agreement. The first question of the night was How would you describe the main character, Jack Reacher? Christy answered: “Doesn’t he remind you guys of crazy Patrick?” Everyone gasped and said, “Yes!” For context, Patrick is a crazy guy in our neighborhood who was a former marine. He has over the years become more eccentric. Several of us neighbors are afraid of him as he is a big guy with military training who is mentally not all there. The book talk went off course with twenty minutes of gossiping on Patrick’s latest theatrics. Jolene brought the talk back on course with the question: “Is Reacher a good guy or bad guy?” Amanda stated he is somewhere in the middle. Everyone agreed. He helps solve murders, but he goes about it in an unethical way. Just then, we heard a loud diesel truck roar down the street. Janice said: “Oh my God, there goes Diesel Douche!” The book club was once again off topic. “Diesel Douche” is a man who lives at the end of the street. Tracy was concerned because he has been harassing new renters who have moved in next door. They have a service dog, and the man hates dogs. So, the rest of the book club meeting was spent talking of ways we could help the new neighbors. We decided we would get our neighborhood police officer involved. Maybe he could talk Diesel Douche down and bring peace back to the block. Although we barely talked about the book, I had a wonderful time with these ladies. Jolene said I am welcome back, and I am going to take her up on her offer.

                In my opinion, if you want a true book club, it is best to go to one the public library or bookstore who is hosting. You will have better luck with actually talking about the book. Neighborhood book clubs are fun but be prepared to go off topic easily. I enjoyed talking a little bit about the book and gossiping about the neighborhood the rest of the time. Book clubs can be a source of socialization if you are lonely and want to make friends. I haven’t had that much fun in a long time. 


Comments

  1. It's nice to have structured monthly or weekly events like book clubs for social gatherings! I feel the same way about my weekly D&D or Magic sessions with my friends. Sometimes its more for the gathering than the Magic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, this sounds like such a fun time! I really like book club experiences that are more about socializing than sticking strictly to talking about a specific book. I have also been thinking about reading the Jack Reacher series, I've watched the show on Prime and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! I want to have a neighborhood book club! I want to gossip (and see inside their houses). Great write up and what fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Profile

Secret Shopper